Ontario – Eastern
The early beginning of Bible Society work in our district date from the era of visits by Rev. John West (1828) and Rev. James Thomson (1830 and 1838) who established depositories and founded Auxilaries in Upper Canada. The Perth Auxiliary, previously associated with Montreal, linked with Ottawa in 1869. Beginning in 1855 and continuing for 65 years, the work of the Society was conducted from the John Durie Bookshop on Sparks Street. This building still stands, bearing the sign “Bible House” sixty feet above the pedestrian mall. In 1920 the Auxiliary moved its Depository from the Sparks Street location to rented premises on Laurier Avenue. Land was purchased at 315 Lisgar Street and the new Bible House, constructed for $21,000, opened in 1922 free of debt.
Over the years, the Bible House has undergone several renovations and updates. In 1980 the decision was made to transfer ownership of the Bible House property to the National Office in Toronto. We continue to maintain a strong presence in downtown Ottawa, as we serve the Bible needs of Eastern Ontario through our Regional Office.
Regional Director, Ontario & Nunavut
Regional Coordinator, Ontario & Nunavut
315 Lisgar Street
Ottawa, ON K2P 0E1
For all your Bible and scripture resources needs, please visit www.biblescanada.com.