Greater Alberta

History

As people migrated westward to settle in Canada, the work of scripture distribution also moved westward.  Alberta officially became a Canadian Bible Society district in 1908 (just three years after Alberta became a province).  In 1918 it was determined that Alberta could best be served with two districts - one in southern Alberta based in Calgary and one for northern Alberta based in Edmonton.  For almost 100 years the scripture distribution needs in Alberta were met through these two districts. 

Officially, 2015 saw the formation and official designation of what is now known as the Greater Alberta District.  This new designation incorporates the southeast portion of British Columbia (tied to Calgary commerce) and the northeast portion of British Columbia (tied to Grande Prairie commerce) into the Greater Alberta District. 

Administration

The twelve members of the Greater Alberta District Board represent eight denominational groups and live in six communities beyond Calgary and Edmonton.  In order to accommodate the geography of the Greater Alberta District the board meets bi-monthly in Red Deer. 

Each year at the Greater Alberta District Annual General Meeting individuals are nominated and elected to serve on the District Board. 

Scripture Distribution the Primary Focus

Over the last several years, scripture distribution has become the major ministry priority.  Currently there are over 120 ministry partners in the Greater Alberta District.  These are the frontline individuals who see scriptures distributed and lives transformed.  Specifically in Calgary, there are more than 40 local congregations who collectively are conducting English as a Second Language classes for new Canadians.  Other ministry partners are church camps, the Salvation Army, Pregnancy Care Centre, rescue missions, mission to Aboriginal Canadians, and more.

In addition, scriptures are made available to chaplains who serve our military, prison ministry and hospitals.  Hebrew and Greek scriptures are annually distributed to Seminary and Bible College students in 12 schools.

We are most grateful for those who support the distribution efforts of the district through their generous donations.