As early as 1808, before a Bible Society was officially organized, a grant of Bibles was made to the town of Burton by the British and Foreign Bible Society. In 1819 the Bible Society was officially formed and has been recognized as a New Brunswick Chartered not-for-profit ministry since 1819. In 1844, a translation of Mark's Gospel by Native evangelist Paul Osunkhirine was published in the Miq'mak language. In 1863 Scriptures for the Maliseet people of New Brunswick were printed in Bath, England. In 1825 the Ladies' Bible Society of Miramichi provided Scriptures for the victims of the Great Miramichi fire that swept from the Miramichi River to Chaleur Bay, reducing 12,950 square kilometres to ruin and killing 160 people.