Ontario – Southwestern
The District of Southwestern Ontario serves communities west of the Greater Toronto Area to Windsor and north to Georgian Bay. Our congregational representatives form a major ministry component to congregations and parishes.
A Bible Society Auxiliary was established for Western Ontario in 1879. The chief interest of this District situated in one of the world’s finest agricultural areas, has always been spreading the Scriptures across the globe. Local distribution was not stressed, and the District has worked primarily in raising money to translate, publish, and distribute Scripture overseas. In 1960 the Canadian Bible Society provided a Bible House for this district.
The Hamilton Branch of the Bible Society, founded in 1835, 11 years before the city of Hamilton, was the forerunner of the South Central Ontario District. From the founding of the Upper Canada Bible Society in 1818, Bible Society work was directed from Toronto. In 1962, when the boundaries of the Upper Canada District were changed, the Hamilton District was formed. In 1962 the Canadian Bible Society bought 196 Main Street East as headquarters for the District, where it remained until 1985 before moving into a rental space. Western and South Central Ontario amalgamated recently to form the Southwestern Ontario District.
Regional Director, Ontario & Nunavut
Regional Coordinator, Ontario & Nunavut
190 Queen’s Plate Drive,
Etobicoke, ON M9W 6Y9
For all your Bible and scripture resources needs, please visit www.biblescanada.com.