Three Ways You Can Support Bible Translations
In the Body of Christ, Bible Translations have always been very important. From the days when Scribes transcribed copies of letters and sections of the Bibles, to the invention of Gutenberg’s printing press, and to the modern-day translation work done at the Institute for Computer Assisted Publishing (ICAP), Christians from abroad have contributed to the work in making God’s Word accessible in many languages.
To make it clearer, the Director of Scripture Translations Hart Wiens has a quote that clarifies why it is we and other ministries participate in Bible Translation:
“At Babel, God responded to the people’s arrogance by confusing their languages, but at Pentecost he reversed this and allowed everyone to hear in their own language the wonderful things God has done (Acts 2.11). In Bible translation, we work with God to continue this reversal of Babel so that all people will be able to respond to the wonderful things God has done.”
By God’s grace, we have been invited in to God’s work in this “reversal of Babel” that has surely united people of all nations, creeds, languages and upbringings in Jesus Christ our Lord. At the end of the day, it all comes down to three things:
- There are still millions of people who have not heard of the Good News of Jesus Christ and are on the road of Destruction (Matthew 7.13)
- God is still actively working in the world, bringing people to salvation by the power of the Gospel. (Romans 1.16)
- We have a part to play in this work, and it’s called the Great Commission. (Matthew 28.16-20)
By creating tools for people to understand the Word of God in people’s “heart language,” we create more opportunities for local ministers, local churches and missionaries to preach the Gospel to more people. And you can help us.
That’s Where You Come In
While much progress has been made in the world of Bible Translation, there is much work to be done. Millions of people do not have the life-giving Word of God in their heart language. Here’s how you can get involved:
#1 – Prayer
Please pray for the work in Bible Translations in Canada and abroad. Here are some items you can pray for:
- Translation Teams: Please pray for those involved in the translation, revision and publication of Bibles. Pray that God would guide them with wisdom, knowledge and compassion to correctly translate God’s Word. Pray for unity amongst team members
- Barriers: Please pray for any barriers that may come between the translation teams and their goals of completing certain Bibles. Some reasons include politics, funding, and language barriers.
- Those Giving and Receiving the Bibles: Please pray for those that are on the front lines distributing Bibles. This includes local churches and local ministries. Also, please pray for those who are receiving Bibles. Pray that God’s Word minister to those who are reading God’s Word, and that He would bring about growth and fruit through His Holy Scriptures.
#2 – Give
Please consider making a financial contribution to the Canadian Bible Society. Your money will go directly to translation projects in Canada and abroad.
By making a gift today, you will help share God’s Word with people, in their heart language! You may give a one-time or a monthly gift.Also consider honouring a family or friend by giving a Special Occasion or a Memorial gift.
#3 – Stay Updated
While much progress has been made, the work in Bible Translations continue. As the work continues to evolve, the Canadian Bible Society continues to evolve in our strategy to reach the nations. Please consider joining our mailing list, and liking our Facebook Page, so that you can stay in the loop about how God is working in the world.
While this list is not exhaustive, my prayer is that God would continue to stir up passion in our hearts for those who are not saved, both here and abroad, and that God will provide many opportunities to participate in the bringing of His Good News. As Paul said in Romans 10.15
“How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the good news!”