Canada’s Spiritual Landscape 2022
Canada today is increasingly multicultural, multi-ethnic and multi-religious. The Canadian Bible Society, in partnership with Cardus, undertook a study to understand spirituality in Canada today in order to equip faith leaders to minister to their communities. Find out more about the spectrum of spirituality in Canada.
As we look at Canada’s spiritual landscape, there is a strong focus on secularization and declining church numbers – which may give us only a limited view of Canada’s spiritual dynamic.
The Canadian Bible Society in partnership with Cardus contracted with Angus Reid to survey a representative sample of the Canadian population to understand the type of spirituality that exists in Canada today, to equip faith leaders to minister to their communities.
This study is based on data compiled from nine representative surveys of the Canadian population from 2017 to 2022.
If the download doesn’t automatically start in a few seconds, please disable/turn off pop-up blockers in your browser settings.
The Spectrum of Spirituality Index developed by Cardus and the Angus Reid Institute in 2017 has seven spiritual indicators.
- Belief in God or a higher power
- Belief in life after death
- How important is it for a parent to teach their children about religious beliefs
- How often, it at all, a person feels they experience God’s presence
- How often, if at all, a person prays to God or a higher power
- How often, if at all, a person reads the Bible, Quran, or other sacred text
- How often, if at all, a person attends religious services (other than weddings or funerals)
Learn more about the four groups that emerge from the index: Religiously Committed, Privately Faithful, Spiritually Uncertain and Non-religious.